September 26 @ 3:00 pm - 5:30 pmFree
This exciting annual contest highlights the increasing global popularity of Korean food and how K-Food enthusiasts are expanding the culinary landscape! This year, the K-Food Cook-off will challenge local culinary students and K-Food enthusiasts to create a Korean dish in 45-minutes. The dish must include any type of Kimchi as one of the key ingredients.
The history of kimchi and Korea are intertwined. Fermenting and preserving cabbage and radishes for consumption during the long, harsh winters was once a matter of survival, but kimchi has become a staple of Korea’s culinary and cultural identity. Today, every Korean family has their own recipes and traditions for making and using this versatile superfood, which can now be found in many grocery stores and on menus worldwide.
Judges will evaluate each of the finalists’ dishes on creativity, originality, and Korean influence. While the judges are scoring the dishes, contestants will get to mingle with South Korean embassy officials, RAMW representatives, and prominent chefs from across the DC area.
– Xavier Deshayes: Executive Chef of the Ronald Reagan Building, Washington, D.C.
– Kathy E. Hollinger: CEO and President of RAMW
– Daniel Kramer: Co-founder and owner of Duke’s Grocery (Restaurant/Pub) and Gogi Yogi, DC (Korean BBQ)
– Robin Rhee: President of RheeBros Inc.
– Bradley Nairne: Executive Chef and Director of Food and Beverage Operations at Hyatt Regency Tysons Corner
– Kevin Tien: Executive Chef of the Moon Rabbit Restaurant, Intercontinental Hotel, Wharf, Washington D.C.
The awards ceremony will be held on-site at the conclusion of the event. Prizes include:
– 1st Place: $1,000 + spend a day shadowing an executive chef + prizes
– 2nd Place: $500 + prizes
– 3rd Place: $250 + prizes
Event hosted by:
– AT: Korea Agro-Fisheries Trade Corporation
– Ministries of Foreign Affairs Republic of Korea
– Ministries of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
– Korean Food Promotion Institution
– Hyatt Regency
– Barrel & Bushel
– RHEE BROS Inc.
– ASSI – Food brand
– Doo food