DENNIS’ GARDEN CASSEROLE
• 1/2 pound green beans • 2 tablespoons snipped chives
• 2 small yellow squash sliced • 1 cup chicken broth
• 2 small zucchini squash sliced • 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1/2 head cauliflower • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
• 3 small carrots, sliced thin • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
Layer vegetables in large casserole dish. Top with snipped chives. Brown garlic in butter. Add chicken broth and white pepper. Pour over vegetables and cover. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
• 5 large zucchini (about 2 1/2 lbs. total)
• 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
• 1 teaspoon salt Coarsely ground black pepper
• 3 or 4 cloves garlic, minced Ground nutmeg
• 1 tablespoons olive oil Finely shredded Parmesan cheese
• 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed and softened
Cut zucchini in half crosswise. Cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices, and then lengthwise into long, thin strips about 1/4-inch wide (resembling strips of fettuccine). There should be about 8 cups. In a large colander, toss the zucchini with the salt. Allow to drain for 1 hour. Rinse and drain. Pat dry.
In a 12-inch skillet, cook the zucchini and garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat for 2 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Spoon zucchini from skillet to a large bowl. In the skillet, heat the cream cheese over medium-low heat until smooth. Stir in the 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Stir in zucchini; heat through. Transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with pepper, nutmeg, and additional Parmesan cheese. Makes 8 side-dish servings.
PICKLED BREAD-AND-BUTTER ZUCCHINI
• 16 cups fresh zucchini, sliced
• 4 cups onions, thinly sliced
• 1/2 cup salt
• 4 cups white vinegar
• 2 cups sugar
• 4 tablespoons mustard seed
• 2 tablespoons celery seed
• 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
Cover zucchini and onion slices with 1 inch of water and salt. Let stand 2 hours and drain thoroughly. Combine vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to a boil. Add zucchini and onions. Simmer 5 minutes. Fill jars with mixture, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Fill jars to 1/2 inch from top with hot pickling solution. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rims. Adjust lids. Process pints or quarts for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath. Makes about 8 or 9 pint jars.
Margie’s Choco-Zucchini Loaf
• 2 cups flour • 3 eggs
• 1/3 cup cocoa • 3/4 cup applesauce
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder • 1/4 cup oil
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda • 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1/2 teaspoon salt • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
• 1 3/4 cups sugar • 2 cups grated zucchini
Combine first 5 ingredients. Blend next 5 ingredients. Fold in flour mixture just until combined. Add chocolate chips and zucchini gently. Divide between 2 (8″) loaf pans. Bake at 325°F for 55-60 minutes.
Linda’s Zucchini-Noodle Lasagna
Thin slices of zucchini stand in for noodles.
• 1 pound cooked lean ground beef
• 3 medium OR 2 large zucchini, sliced thin lengthwise
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 2 jars of your favorite sauce (or 1 extra large), thick is best
• 2 cups (16 ounces) cottage cheese (or ricotta or 1/2 of each)
• 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
• 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
• All-Purpose Flour
• 1/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a deep 9×13 inch baking pan with non-stick spray.
Peel zucchini and slice lengthwise into thin slices. Sprinkle slices lightly with salt; set aside to drain in a colander 5-10 minutes. Blot with a paper towel to remove excess water from zucchini.
In a bowl mix cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, eggs, oregano, Italian seasoning, and parsley. Stir until combined.
To assemble lasagna: Because of using zucchini, add 2-3 handfuls of rice to the bottom of the pan, which will help soak up the extra water. Then pour/spread some sauce on the bottom. Sprinkle flour on a plate, dredge zucchini slices through flour, then place a layer of the zucchini to cover entire bottom of pan the way you would pasta noodles. Then place 1/2 of the cheese mixture over zucchini, top with 1/2 of the ground beef and 1/2 of the sauce. Repeat with layering the other 1/2 of ingredients. Sprinkle top with remaining mozzarella cheese. Additional Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top also, if desired. Cover with foil.
Bake 60 minutes covered at 350°, then uncovered 10-15 minutes until cheese melts and turns slightly brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
NOTE: You can make 3 layers instead of 2 by layering 1/3 of ingredients, if desired.